Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Former TV Star Wilson’s- “Un-Ringing The Bell” Premieres At NC National Theater Festival

In the past few years the American economy has been practically destroyed by greedy politicians, Fortune 500 Companies expecting big government bale outs, and fanancial investors in for their own gain. Looking at the over all picture for the small man, many of us continue to be affected by job loss, the mortgage crisis, which has left many consumers lives in shambles, automotive franchises going up in smoke, and finally poor sales and rising prices in retail outlets. But it doesn’t stop there, when it comes to entertainment, Hollywood was hit with a brick, as production houses shut down, television shows were canceled and actors from every walk of life were left standing in hall ways, not only looking for that next big break, but in disbelief that their steady gigs were gone. For some, this reality hit harder than others as the bottom fell out, and their poisons of choice entered front and center, making them re-evaluate what it really meant to be part of the human race.

Actor Dorien Wilson was one of those casualties who felt a swift kick in the gut after Hollywood shut down countless productions, and offices that were once considered the bread and butter of the entertainment industry halted on projects. For once in his life, instead of concentrating on going that extra mile to deliver a character to the screen that people could relate too, he turned an about face to a very weary and destructive shell of his former self as the urge to drink took over. Poisons of his past led him to pockets of deep depression and remorse as he drank to forget his problems, the industry and the economy. Simultaneously, he was forced to deal with the death of his mother, which pushed him further into a state of denial that there was no job to go to. “I’ve enjoyed my career and my life”, comments Wilson. “ Here, I was the first African American on “Seinfeld” and ‘Friends’, and had work straight for like 15 years with shows like “The Parkers’, and all of a sudden one morning I woke up and there was no job to go to. This was a very hard thing. So I fell into a bout of depression, then my mother passed away, and that too had me on edge. I loved her so. And so things were not the same. I started drinking and things just got out of hand. If you were talking to me maybe 6 months ago, you would not have known me because I was really out there”.

To make amends and address his circumstances, Wilson turned to his many friends and family to get back on track. This was when he began developing ideas for a one man stage play which later became known as “Un-Ringing The Bell”, a comedic, yet introspective journey delving into real life experiences about his highs and lows in the entertainment business, alcoholism, depression and the passing of his mother. “ Un-Ringing The Bell” refers to when something is done you can’t undo it”, he continues. “I’ve been through a lot of things in my career, but this is the first time in 15 years things just stopped. I was so used to working television gigs because it was like a regular 9 to 5 job that lasted and lasted. Then I looked around to see who else was being affected, and I saw it was not just me, but there were a lot of us very talented actors not working. The reality tv thing had taken over. Hollywood was not hiring actors to do anything, but putting smaller budgets in to reality television series. So after getting myself together, and realizing that if I was not being called to work, I had to create something. Like the old saying goes, when the phone stops ringing, you have to create your own stuff”.

Wilson’s creation, “Un-Ringing The Bell”, features him portraying all the characters including Dr. Ira Feinsteine, a persnickety old man with a European accent. Legendary actress Marla Gibbs (Florence from The Jefferson’s), joins in to speak as the voice of his mother. Wilson pays homage to her in a very sincere way. He recently appeared on “The Monique Show” to talk about the project as well. “It was great to reunite with Monique, whom I played opposite of as Professor Oglevee on tv show “The Parkers” for 6 years”, says Wilson. “She and I have always had a good relationship, (she called me the night she was getting ready for the Academy Awards) and it was just ironic, because when she first got the BET Show, she had the entire cast of “The Parkers” on, and then a year later she called me about doing the show to promote this work. I’m really appreciative of her giving me the opportunity to talk about the project there. This was really good for me because I haven’t been in a television role for a while, people that recognize me are always asking, “when are you going to be on tv again? We miss you.”. This makes me feel very good about the work that I’ve done. And this is also good because I can always go back to theater”.

In the future Wilson says he’s working on writing a new theatrical play entitled “Under The Elm Tree”, and he’s also waiting to hear back about a role in a new upcoming project for television, and an Internet series, which may include some voice over work for an animation company. “I love the Internet”, he says in closing. For the future I will be writing more material to keep busy”. “Un-Ringing The Bell” will be showcased in Winston Salem, North Carolina at the National Black Theater Festival at 8pm nightly, from Tuesday, August 2nd- Thursday, August 4th, 2011, where there will be Red Carpet Treatment for Celebrity arrivals and a Celebrity After Party. For more information about actor Dorien Wilson, “Un-Ring The Bell” and The National Black Theater Festival, visit. http://www.nbtf.org/. Also view a recently added link to a performance by Wilson at http://youtu.be/XU0i8pgIwLs

No comments: