Thursday, August 12, 2010

Rayford Talks Jazz/Gospel Sax With Live Inspirational Tyscot Return

After 20 years of defining the real meaning of dedication, provacating the true sanities of love and worship, while delivering music that professes the love of Jesus Christ is real, Harold Rayfords’ true mission in life is to edify those in need of divine direction through the presentation of the Word of God; verbally, literarily and musically, and that he does so eloquent with the release of his latest, “ I Am The Instrument”. It’s not every day that we see a Gospel Jazz artist releasing his 9th project, but Rayford has something special and in celebration of that gift, he’s taking us back to Gospel classics such as the hit single by Marvin Sapp, “Never Would’ve Made It”, in his very own instrumental remake which has set Gospel and Inspirational Radio on fire. In short, this project allows Rayford to showcase his growth as a man of God, his talents and skills as a musician and truly speak on his underlined faith in himself, his craft and his future as a Gospel Jazz musician.

Formulating Jazz style tunes to incorporate into Gospel Music is nothing new for Harold Rayford. This Stellar Award Nominated saxophone player has wooed audiences in a variety of settings to help spread the love of Jesus Christ, while creating Gospel Music many followers of Jazz find exceptional. “I Am The Instrument”, introduces a new generation and audience to music from the past, telling a story with Gospel cover tunes that will make listeners take notice like never before. Thus far in Rayfords career, he’s produced 8 projects, 3 cassettes and 5 CD’s, and his talents and skills are just beginning to spark the surface. “I feel very blessed to be delivering this album, “says Rayford. “I give God all the glory. This album gave me a chance to record some different material and add some classic Gospel tunes. The majority of my audience is the mature crowd. Some like Jazz and some like a variety, so this album has all of that. I recorded “Never Would’ve Made It”, “How Great Is Our God”, and “Down Through The Years” because those are just a few of the songs that I just love and other people love them too. Maybe they haven’t heard them my way, so this gives them a change to hear familiar tunes in a different style. The mature audience can relate to these, and I’m getting all kinds of comments. So this is my ministry and I want to do this to the best of my ability and please God with the best that I have.”

Like most musicians, Rayford has a love for the greats when it comes to Jazz Music. “I grew up listening to all the greats, “as he continues. “ Like Charlie Parker, Grover Washington, John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley, and Thelonious Monk, those guys made real Jazz Music. I also listened to a lot of Gospel artist, including Tramaine Hawkins and Andre Crouch, who I was heavily inspired by. So throughout my career, what I’ve tried to do was bridge the two together, Jazz and Gospel, and I can’t really take credit for all of this. This is God’s doing. He’s used me from day one. As the title of the album says, I am just the instrument. This is his work; him doing through me what he wants people to hear out of my sax. My main initiative is that my music meets the standard of God”. This is Rayfords first live album recorded for Tyscot. It was recorded in Indianapolis, Indiana at The Jazz Kitchen. Other singles on the album include “With Love”, “ Dove”, and “Every Night My Father Prays”, “Hymn Medley”, “Ummm”, “ Alpha and Omega”, and “When The Music Stops”, which are definitely standout singles that will make you wish for more. This album cites Rayfords fifth recording for Tyscot Records.

Music is just one side of Rayford; he’s also a family man who speaks openly about being married for 25 years with two children in college in as seen in a You Tube EPK video. Like many fathers, his cares and concerns for the welfare of our youth, their futures and the Internet, shows very much who he is as a musician and family man. “I love my family and will do anything for them, “ he explains. “Music is my passion, but family comes first. I love the Internet and I can really appreciate where it’s taking us musically. It’s something different, interesting, and unique. It has changed how we do business, how we shop, how we meet people and everything. Musically speaking, it has changed how we as artists market ourselves, and there is a lot of good because we can use it to the Glory of God and reach more people than we could ever reach the old way. But when it comes to young people and how it affects them, I’m concerned. It bothers me because for those who are or are working to be musicians, it doesn’t pay for the kids to even learn to play an instrument because they can sample. So it has an adverse effect as well. The industry is in a great flux right now, and trying to find what the next big thing is is very difficult right now. Then because of the economy and all the other problems we are having, people are afraid to invest in talented musicians and projects”.

In closing Rayford offers this lasting word of inspiration for new –up and coming artists, “ it’s important to develop a broad focus of influences. Don’t just settle on one style of music. Take the time to put all the different styles of music that you have access to into what you do”. For more information on Harold Rayford visit http://www.haroldrayford.com/. Other releases from Tyscot include Detrick Haddon’s “Blessed & Cursed”, CD and DVD; and “CoCo Brother Presents: Stand 2010”. For more information visit www.tyscot.com.

No comments: