Thursday, February 11, 2010

Pamela Williams “Jazz Saxtress Celebrating Her Independence”

Jazz music for the longest time has been an art form that has always taken a back seat to more popular and commercialized music, and the pioneers who crafted the sounds that so many of us love are becoming as extinct as the art form itself. But thanks to people like Pamela Williams, sax player to the stars (known for her featured live work with Patti Labelle and Tina Marie, to name a few), Jazz music is making a come back. Williams and her horn have graced the stage with a variety of music icons, including Baby Face and Shelia E., as well as featured guest artist on the Arsenio Hall Show. Like many, Williams is a multitalented artist who also writes, producers, sings and paints, creating irrestiable grooves on and off the canvas. Her stellar career has paved way for her current project “Elixir”, which is as tempting and sensual look as the artist herself, allowing her to showcase all her talents.

Music has always provided a service of creating smiles, laughter, romance, and more, and it’s not everyday that campaigns are being built around trying to save a struggling art form such as Jazz, but Williams is doing her part to remind people- Jazz is still around and she’s one of the best to contribute. “I’ve been in this business for 14 years”, says Williams. “ And it hasn’t always been easy, but I’m glad that I was given an opportunity to show I do have what it takes. One of the greatest challenges is being a female and having to prove myself over and over again. When it comes to being an artist and producer, I’ve been a musician longer than I have been producing, and I believe that I’m better live. It’s funny, but women in the Industry have a hard time sometimes because people don’t like to take them serious. When I got the gig for Patti Labelle, I was ecstatic because Patty was one of my idols and it was for sure a dream come true. Her musical director called me. I auditioned and got the gig and went to Japan with her. I then traveled with her band for 8 years, and she’s an extraordinary artist. Very professional, very into her music and one of the best that I know when it comes to what she does. The impact of her sound has really changed the game for women in the industry.”

For sure the name Pamela Williams is not a household name yet, but all good things come in due time. Her current project is “ Elixir”, which gives her an opportunity to show some of her creativity and stamina as a sax player. “ It’s funny how one of my idols, Grover Washington, Jr. was also my teacher in school”, she continues. “I use to play all of his records and copy what he was doing, which is how I really learned to play saxophone. I loved how he would blend smooth Jazz with R&B. Today, Jazz is slowly dying out and you don’t have a lot of Jazz artists releasing records now. So in my release of this project, I’m equally as proud because it’s a completely independent project, and this is my 8th CD project. I have all creative control. I got to write it the way I wanted and play the way I wanted to play it. All the money goes to the record company and not ten or twenty other people or companies. That’s what I like about the Internet as well. It doesn’t take a lot of people to put your dream out there anymore. You can practically do it all yourself. And the Internet is playing such a major role in distribution right now. I love it because it gives the small man the advantage, and not have to spend a lot doing it.”

If you like smooth Jazz, “Elixir” is jammed with hits, including “Forbidden Fruit”, “Positive Vibe”, “A Jam For Pam”, “ A Toast To Eternity”, “In The Cut”, “Say Yes”, “ Rise”, “Give Me What You Got” and “Rejuvination”. “I’m from the era where all artists were unique”, says Williams in closing. “ Nothing sounded the same, and now everything sounds the same. So I’m attempting to bring back the old school, in some ways. With the Internet as a marketing tool, you can do anything and place yourself and your skills just about anywhere. I use My Space and market myself and I don’t need a record company for that. Record companies really took advantage of artists over the years, and now that the little man has the power to put his own image out, the playing ground for the first time in history is even. And your sales numbers don’t have to be as big now. You can afford to press far fewer copies and live comfortable as an independent artist”. Overall, “ Elixir” is filled with happy jams that will relax and soothe you, incorporating a variety of instruments beyond the saxophone.”

For more on Pamela Williams, visit www.pamelawlliamsthesaxtress.com and www.myspace.com/thesaxtress.

No comments: